EUNICE NETWORK MEMBER'S CHARTER
The European universities and companies signing this present charter are anxious to improve in a permanent manner the quality and relevance of their teaching and research in the field of information and communication technologies. They declare their desire to cooperate in the following ways :
- By jointly developing and promoting the best and compatible standard of European higher education and professionals in information and communication technologies.
- By increasing scientific and technical knowledge in the field of telecommunications and developing their applications in the economy.
The network is made up of European Universities within the European Union and outside it, whether from Western, Central or Eastern Europe. These universities are involved at their own appropriate organisation level, taking into account the mission of the network.
The parties signing the present charter will be the "founding partners". Other universities, very limited in number, might be invited to join the network as "members".
Transnational companies, working together with the universities on information and communication technologies, and representatives from the relevant commission of the European Union will be offered the opportunity to be associate members.
No institution can apply for membership.
The partners will seek the development of high level compatibility of the existing or commonly developed courses and programmes, in order to facilitate their recognition by employers independently of their geographical location in Europe. To achieve this goal, the partners will, inside the network, work on mutual recognition of these courses and programmes.
To develop interculturality, these courses and programmes will be accessible in such a way as to encourage, as far as possible, long duration mobility for students and faculty members from one country to another (i.e. several months).
To set compatible standards, shorter duration operations will be conducted such as
Finally, the partners will take advantage of the network of relations set up as described above to develop common modules for onsite training, for the world of industry.
- summer schools for young faculty members and PhD students,
- intensive seminars, in limited number, for students,
- short duration mobility for faculty members for teaching assignments,
- use of new technologies in education.
The partners will also take advantage of this network to collaborate on research and development projects which could be carried out in common by several of them and which could lead to marketable applications in particular.
5. Organisation and structure
To achieve the above mentioned aims, the institutions concerned will form a flexible structure whose role will be to think and decide on joint actions. It will be called the steering group and will meet twice a year. The network would have no legal status. However, the network may authorise a member or set of members to act on its behalf.
Concrete proposition in education and research will be worked out in small working groups of at least two partners, chosen by the steering group as opportunities arise. Finally, a permanent secretariat, located at France Telecom University, will be establi shed to coordinate all the information relevant to the network's activities.
6. / Means and finance
The institutions concerned will provide the specific financial and/or inkind support necessary for the smooth running of the network, notably human resources (research lecturers, engineers, administrators, etc.)
The partners in the network will share information about funding opportunities and seek, as often as necessary, financial aid from public authorities for its actions :
All things equal regarding a specific action within the scope of the network, a member will prefer cooperation with other members of the network.
- within each country,
- from bilateral programs at a country level, whenever such financial aids exist;
- and finally at the European level by means of community schemes (ERASMUS, COMETT, TEMPUS, RACE, ESPRIT, ... , scientific and technological cooperation with Central and Eastern Europe, ..., human resources and mobility, etc.).